Friday, July 8, 2011

Trouble with the Windows Anti-Virus 2011 virus...?

This is atrocious. I was doing my usual thing (checking email, looking at some yahoo articles) when all of a sudden a big window popped up saying "Windows Anti-Virus 2011 has found a virus blah blah blah." If I had thought about this for a second, I would have realized it was fake, considering I'm running Vista and it looked like an XP window. At any rate, I clicked the box like an idiot and that's when all hell broke loose. Every time I tried to get online to find the right software to beat the virus, my Spyware Terminator would tell me that something by YXU.exe was trying to break through. I used alt f4 to close all the virus boxes and rebooted in Safe Mode. Once I did that, I caught the virus in the act and opened task manager. Sure enough, yxu.exe was running, so I looked to see where it was coming from and used the command prompt to follow it's path. However, it wasn't found anywhere. I tried searching for hidden files, searching by the virus' other known names, but nothing worked. Finally I just went in to C:\Users\Domino\App Data\Local, and of course there were LOTS of folders. There was nothing suspicious though. Finally I opened my temp folder. It was the only one with anything close to the virus in appearance, so I decided that I had hit rock bottom anyway (I'd been working on it for 2 hours) and I deleted the whole folder. I deleted a few apparently empty folders as well and hoped for the best. I thought I must've hit it, because once I deleted that, all the pop ups disappeared. I cautiously took it out of safe mode and tried starting it up. Everything worked, except for one thing - Nothing would run. I tried opening Firefox and all it said was "what program would you like to use to open this file?" I tried IE and it said the same thing. I decided to run it as admin, and that worked, but I was still running into trouble. I wanted to run Ad-Aware, just to be on the safe side, and it wouldn't be a part of it at all. I tried HijackThis and it just kept trying to make me open it with another program. What have I done that everything's acting this way? Is this a side effect of the virus? How do I fix this?

No comments:

Post a Comment